Friday, January 22, 2010

A Visit to Morikami Japanese Gardens

There is a cold rain falling outside my window today, with occasional pellets of sleet mixed in. What better time to remember a visit we made last year to Morikami Japanese Gardens in Florida? If you find yourself traveling though South Florida, you should take a half day to visit this beautiful place.

Morikami gardens have only been open since 1977. The garden is located in Delray Beach, about a half-hour drive from Fort Lauderdale. The garden actually consists of a series of six gardens, each inspired by a different cultural period and type of garden. All flow together seamlessly around a central lake. The gardens are all beautiful, and I found myself clicking lots of photos for ideas I could use at home.  Of course, I'm jealous of all the semi-tropical plants that grow seemingly effortlessly in the Florida environment. I was that way the first time I visited Disney World too, the landscaping just knocked me over.

You can spend a couple of hours strolling around the lake enjoying the garden. Morikami also has a Japanese Art Musem to visit.  There's a nice little gift shop with some great remembrances to take with you as well. You can order online if you see something you really like. I haven't seen many Japanese gardens in the US, especially on this scale. Morikami is a wonderful hidden gem.  If you have time, it's definitely worth checking out. Enjoy!



For further information, go to Morikami.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment